T-App(S)Temperature Control Application for use with the Shimadzu UV-1800 or UV-1900 UV/VIS Spectrophotometer
T-App(S) is a temperature control application for use with Shimadzu’s UV-1800 or UV-1900 UV-Vis-NIR Spectrophotometer. With your computer connected to the spectrophotometer and to the Quantum Northwest temperature controller, T-App(S) provides the ability to acquire single/multiple wavelength absorbance or absorbance scans as a function of temperature.
One of the primary purposes of T-App(S) is monitoring temperatures:
- Use it to monitor the temperature of the cuvette holder.
- Connect a Series 400 or Series 500 thermistor probe to the external probe input of the temperature controller and use T-App(S) to monitor sample temperature.
- Monitor the Peltier heat exchanger temperature to detect inadequate coolant flow or high coolant temperature.
T-App(S) is also a convenient user interface to:
- Turn temperature control on and off.
- Set the target temperature.
- Turn magnetic stirring on and off.
- Set the stirrer speed.
- Set up and start a temperature ramp (by setting the rate and the final temperature).
When connected to the spectrometer and the temperature controller, T-App(S) will:
- Generate data sets combining temperature measurements with single wavelength absorbance or absorbance scans.
For dual systems such as the t2x2 Sport or the Versa 2×2 sample holders, T-App(S) can be set to control temperature, ramping and stirring for the two holders, either separately (duplicate menu items and controls) or linked (one set of menu items and controls)
For a multi-position sample holder, such as the qCHANGER 6, T-App(S) has menu items and controls to change to any position at any time.
T-App(S) communicates with the temperature controller using simple text commands. A Script is a text file containing a group of these text commands to be executed sequentially by T-App(S). Generally, Scripts can be generated to automate, and accurately reproduce from day to day, the temperature control process, stirring and positioning.
The user of T-App(S) communicates with the spectrophotometer using additional simple commands (individually or in a script). T-App(S) translates them into even simpler commands and sends them to the spectrometer using the communication protocols described in the “PC Control” chapter of the “INSTRUCTION MANUAL Operation Guide”.
Specific actions that T-App(S) uses to obtain absorbance at the current wavelength setting or absorbance scans as a function of temperature are:
- set the spectrometer to report absorbance (not %T or Power);
- set the wavelength;
- zero the absorbance at the current wavelength;
- obtain the absorbance at the current wavelength;
- set the scan speed;
- set the scan range;
- collect baseline for the current scan range;
- start the scan for the current scan range;
- download the scan data.
However, T-App(S) can be used to send any of the commands listed in the UV-1900 manual, individually or as part of a script.